How to become a member to travel with Servas, if you don’t live in Germany: click here
Since 1948 Servas travelers have been faciliating peace and understanding through exchange with Servas hosts all over the world
To become a traveler, a personal interview with an experienced member (interviewer) is required. Servas thus enables security for its members and data protection.
As a Servas traveler, you usually visit Servas hosts for two nights and immerse yourself in their everyday lives and culture during this time. They let you share their lives and tell you about their country. But as a traveller you are also a mini ambassador of your country and bring your culture to the hosts’ home. This can lead to an interesting exchange of ideas, which will have a lasting effect on you and will always be a great memory!
Every traveler and host is a member (membership application) of SERVAS Germany until they officially terminate their membership. A termination of the membership must be communicated to the treasurer until the 30th of November of the previous year, so that it becomes effective on the 1st of January of the following year.
How to become a Servas traveler?
All SERVAS employees work on a voluntary basis. Nevertheless, expenses are incurred, e.g. financing of the database SOL (member database) and its further development and maintenance, fees for Servas International, server fees, office materials, telephone and internet.
Travelers become members of SERVAS Germany e.V.
The membership fee is 15 € per adult per calendar year. (bank account numbers)
After returning from your trip
We would like to receive feedback after your travel with SERVAS. This feedback is very important to find out if traveling with Servas works out. If problems or misunderstandings arise, we can address the countries concerned. Furthermore, your feedback provides overall insight into what specific, country-specific, and possibly culturally related differences occur when traveling and hosting in other countries.
General information for SERVAS travelers
- You stay a member at SERVAS until you terminate your membership.
- Every adult needs a separate entry in SOL. Children under the age of 18 that are travelling with SERVAS do not need a LoI and accordingly do not have to pay fees.
- Travelers who have been interviewed before are normally not required to attend an interview again, unless their membership application dates back some time. Then another interview is recommended. This is because there have been some innovations at Servas over the years.
- No host is obliged to accommodate travelers at any time. As a rule, the length of the traveler’s stay should be two nights, unless the host offers more on his own initiative.
- The traveler leaves the house with the host – exceptions may be offered only by the host.
- During the initial contact with the hosts, the traveler ideally sends their electronic LoI. Then they do not have to check the profile in the SOL database and the chance to get hosted may increase. Travelers without electronic LoI or with expired LoI should not be hosted. In case of serious misbehavior of travelers, which fortunately is very rare.
- Please send a travel report to firstname.lastname@example.org within 4 weeks of the end of the trip.
- An evaluation of travel reports/feedback can be found here.